This dessert is a take on your more common vanilla pot de creme. It could easily be turned into a creme bruleé by burning some sugar on top. The cardamom and saffron add a unique flavor that is both delicious and unexpected.
- 2 cups half + half
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp saffron strands
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped salted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Heat half + half, vanilla, cardamom, and saffron in a saucepan over very low heat for 10 minutes.
- Whisk yolks and sugar together until mixture turns pale yellow.
- While whisking, pour a ladle full of cream mixture into yolk mixture. Add this cream and yolk mixture into the rest of the cream in the saucepan and whisk for a couple minutes.
- Pour mixture into four individual sized ramekins and put them in a baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish until it reaches halfway up the sides of ramekins.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until center is barely set. Chill, top with pistachios, then serve.